As you may know, the Democrats have proposed an $825bn package of measures to help stimulate the US economy, through $550bn to create jobs and $275bn in tax cuts.
The measures include significant environmental investment with IT implications. It's worth reading the complete list on the Reuters web site, but the measures include:
Highways, Rail, Transportation:
- $19bn for clean water, flood control and environmental restoration.
- $10bn for transit, rail to cut traffic congestion and gas consumption.
- $6bn to buy buses and equipment for public transit.
- $31bn to modernise federal and other public infrastructure with investments for long-term energy savings.
- $11bn for research and development, pilot projects and federal matching funds to modernise electricity grids.
- $8bn for loans for renewable energy power generation and transmission projects.
- $6.9bn for state and local governments to improve energy efficiency.
- $6.7bn for renovations and repairs to federal buildings, especially for energy efficiency improvements.
- $2.4bn for carbon capture and sequestration technology demonstration projects.
- $2bn for advanced vehicle battery loan guarantees and grants.
- $500 million for energy-efficient manufacturing demonstration projects.
- $4.5bn for environmental restoration, flood protection, hydropower, and navigation infrastructure.